June is a LGBT Pride Month. This June 2022 marks the 52nd celebration of , a time when the world’s LGBT+ community come together and celebrate the freedom to be themselves. A month long celebration where people celebrate love, diversity, acceptance and feel proud of who they are.
Across the globe, various events are held during this special month as a way of recognizing the influence LGBT people have had around the world. Millions of people come together in support of the LGBTQ community by walking in parades and attending festivals.
Celebrations include pride parades, picnics, parties, workshops, symposia and concerts. Memorials are held during this month for those members of the community who have been lost to hate crimes or HIV/AIDS.
The purpose of the commemorative month is to recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals have had on history locally, nationally, and internationally.
Why does take place in June? Brief History.
It all started in the early hours of Saturday, June 28, 1969. Police raided the Stonewall Inn, a gay bar on Christopher Street in New York City. At that time Cross-dressing was outlawed. Gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and gender non-conforming people were publicly humiliated. They were often physically harassed, fired from jobs, jailed, or thrown into psychiatric hospitals.
On June 28th, 1969 NYC Police raided the Stonewall gay bar. LGBT+ people were tired of the constant discrimination, violence and police harassment. So they fought back. They were joined by neighborhood residents, and homeless male youths from the adjacent park.
13 people were arrested in total, including three bar staff, three drag queens, and a lesbian. Tensions quickly escalated as Customers resisted arrest and a growing crowd of bystanders threw bottles and coins at the officers. The resistance escalated, and a full riot broke out lasting for six days.
The Stonewall Riots served as a catalyst for the gay rights movement in the United States and around the world. Organizations such as the Gay Liberation Front and the Gay Activists Alliance were formed. The protest also paved the way for the modern fight for LGBT rights.
A year later, the Chicago Gay Liberation organized a march on the last Saturday of June 1970 in commemoration of Stonewall. The very next day a march was held in Los Angeles and New York. These were the first pride parades.
STONEWALL – NATIONAL MONUMENT : Previous U.S. presidents have, on several occasions, officially declared June as LGBT Pride Month. In 2016, President Barack Obama designated Christopher Street, Stonewall Inn, the Park, and the surrounding areas a national monument in recognition of the area’s contribution to gay and human rights.
WHO CELEBRATES LGBT PRIDE MONTH AND HOW ?
Pride events are celebrated by anyone who feels like their gender identity or sexual identity falls outside the mainstream. but it is also celebrated by cisgender and straight ally who equal gender equality, civil rights, and LGBT social movements.
LGBT Pride Month events draw millions of participants from around the world each year. Typically, there are month long celebrations and in-person gatherings that take place across the nation, including pride parades, marches, parties, concerts, workshops and symposiums. Memorials are also often held for members of the LGBT community who have lost their lives to hate crimes or HIV/AIDS.
What LGBT Pride Month events will take place this year 2022 ?
Last couple of years LGBT Pride Month was celebrated differently due to the coronavirus pandemic. This year most Pride Month festivities have resumed in person. A number of official events will be held in various cities across the nation throughout the month. Also you can also join the celebration virtually like past year.
- San Francisco, will have its annual parade on June 26, with a celebration the day before.
- Los Angeles will host several events this month, including a concert headlined by Christina Aguilera.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma will have a weekend of Pride, starting June 24, which will include a parade, a run and a picnic.
- Atlanta Pride Run is also happening again this year. The run is for generating LGBTQ awareness in the community. You can also participate in this event virtually.
- You can check your local area if you’re unsure about parades near you. You can See this calendar for more Pride events happening around the world in June.
CAN I PARTICIPATE IN PRIDE EVENTS IF I AM NOT LGBT ?
Sure. Pride events welcome allies from outside the LGBT community. There are opportunities to show support, to observe, listen and be educated.
You can also Celebrate LGBT Pride Month 2022 virtually
If there’s not a Pride event happening near you, don’t worry. There are plenty of ways to celebrate virtually, and even watch Pride parades and events happening around the world. You can also participate in events virtually, for instance, the Atlanta Pride Run has a virtual option you can sign up for and run anywhere you want (plus, it comes with a shirt).
What to watch for Pride Month
- Netflix has a genre page for Pride Month, including movies, TV shows, documentaries, GLAAD award nominees and more.
- Amazon Prime Video also has a landing page to honor Pride Month.
- Hulu has a designated page for Pride Month, too.
You can also show your support from home
There are plenty of ways to show your support from home.
- You can Join virtual events.
- Host your own Pride-themed movie night.
- Be an ally to your LGBTQ colleagues, friends and family members.
- You can hang a Pride flag outside your home. Place a Pride sticker on your car.
- Wear some Pride clothing.
- Support LGBTQ organizations in schools.
- Support businesses that support the LGBTQ community.
Happy Pride Month everyone !!